I was tagged by Cousin Jack, who, to my knowledge, has managed to remain meme-free until now. Jack is, as you know, my genuine, real cousin (and Blogfaddah), and, as such, there is no way I’m refusing. Seeing as how Jack is a details guy (Hell, he’s a Tax Lawyer), I will carefully follow
all just about all of the directions, which are as follows:
The rules: List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to. (Via Knit, Purls & Curls.)
Like Jack, I’m a bit long in the tooth to be “into” specific songs these days, as I’ve spent my entire life waist deep in music. In fact, whenever I am asked to single out specific songs as favorites, I get a bit sideways – a Sophie’s Choice kind of thing. So, I’ve decided to think about the discs that I have been listening to lately and determine which tunes I always play more than once. With that, here we go (in no particular order).
1. Where or When – Dion (and Dion and the Belmonts) I thought this song was a killer centuries ago when I was in high school, and it still knocks me out. That’s staying power.
2. Mona Lisa – Nat King Cole The man could sing his ass off, and make sure to pay special attention to the strings in the background. Beautiful.
3. Walkin’ Cane – Robert Earl Keen Thanks to Christina for sending me this disc and turning me on to this tune. It is always a multiple listen.
4. Scotch and Soda – Kingston Trio This has become a signature guitar-pickin’ tune. I probably have played and sung it as many times as the Kingston Trio has.
5. Bridge Over Trouble Water – Simon and Garfunkel No denying it. Art Garfunkel is one gorilla stompin’ singer.
6. Running on Empty – Jackson Browne Frighteningly biographical, this.
7. Let it Be Me – Everly Brothers Don and Phil. ‘Nuf said.
Here’s where I break the rules. Rather than tagging seven people (some peeps get cranky when tagged) I invite everyone who reads this to play.