The top three Democrat candidates seem to be competing for the title of “The President Who Can Do the Best Job of Seeing to it that the U.S. Government Sticks It to the Big, Eeeeeevil Corporations.” It is essentially a
socialist “populist” message calculated to create an “Us versus Them” mentality on the part of voters. I probably shouldn’t be surprised by the positive reaction on the part of many Americans to this message, but I am.
Yo, Jimbo, why are you surprised that seemingly so many Americans want the U.S. Government to “take the power” from big evil corporations? People hate their jobs, some of them hate their bosses, and all of us at one time or another have been hassled by a big corporation. They’re just speaking truth to power, yo.
Fair question, that. So, let’s try this little exercise shall we? As you will see, it requires a teeny bit of audience participation. When asked to stand, please do so and remain standing until you are instructed otherwise.
Here we go:
1. All of you who receive a salary or commissions from a big corporation, please stand up.
2. All of you who directly own stocks and/or bonds issued by a big corporation, please stand up.
3. All of you who own mutual funds that hold stocks and/or bonds of big corporations, please stand up.
4. All of you who, in order to prepare for your retirement, participate in savings plans or pension plans that own stocks and/or bonds of big corporations, please stand up.
6. All of you who own your own business or who work for a small business whose revenue, in a significant part, depends on purchases by big corporations, please stand up.
7. All of you who own your own business or who work for a small business that purchases goods and services from a large corporation that are necessary for the operation of the business, please stand up.
To those of you standing, I suggest that you consider how you might be negatively affected if the U.S. Government were to stick it to big corporations. When you think about it, it really isn’t “Us versus Them,” is it? If the Democrats have their way and stick it to the big corporations, YOU will be the ultimate stickee.
Now, those standing who still want the U.S. Government to beat up the big, eeeeeevil corporations, you may sit down.
To those of you who are seated, I would like to take up a collection from those standing to buy each of you a one-way ticket to the socialist paradise of your choice.