Earlier today I began a post, but I put it on hold in order to take a shot at fiddling with my template. For most of you, what I was trying to do (insert a working button over there on the left) would be a no-brainer. However, for me, it is a major, nerve shattering undertaking. Here’s how Jimbo, the techno-illiterate, approaches such things.
First, I created a copy of the current version of Mr. Template. I printed it, and then tucked the electronic copy safely away in a Word File as a cyber-life preserver. I then took the printed version and planned my moves with the care of a battlefield commander, which included trying to figure out what “div” and “div class side” means. Relying on some HTML information gleaned from the web, I carefully created the code that I was certain would produce the desired result. I wrote the Jimbo Code into a separate Word document. I’m thinking, at this point, my shit is clean.
After staring at the code for a while and comparing it with other examples of similar code in Mr. Template, I was satisfied that I had it right. I took a deep breath and copied my HTML masterpiece into the template.
Of course it didn’t work. What I saw on the site was my code all highlighted as if it were a link. No button. Time to regroup.
I fooled with it a bit more and finally got the button to appear, but the button was not clickable. More regrouping.
After a few more tries, I was faced with the obvious signs of my inadequacy, namely that damned symbol for an image that failed to load. I was running out of time, as I had to leave to hang with the Usual Suspects, so I tried deleting everything I had added.
No good. The site still displayed the failed image icon — public proof of my incompetence. Now, completely out of patience (and out of time), I decided to delete the entire template and paste in the copy of Mr. Template that I had saved earlier. I did that, and when I clicked on “view your site,” I got a blank screen. HOLY CRAP!!!!! This was my worst nightmare.
I tried “rebuilding” my main index. Still a white screen. Oh shit.
I then “rebuilt” the entire site. I was on the edge of my seat while everything slowly “rebuilt.” Fortunately, that seemed to get me back to where I was before I started diddling with the template.
I think I know what I may have done wrong, but it will take a day or so for me to have the nerve and the time to screw around again with Mr. Template.
For those of you who make major changes to your sites with the ease of changing socks, I can only quote Bobby Baccala on the Sopranos when he told Uncle Junior, “I am in ‘ore’ of you.”